Petfinder.com is promoting October as Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. The organization is “encouraging pet lovers to adopt homeless dogs and puppies, rather than purchasing them from pet stores or puppy mills.” And in a recent press release, it is noted that nearly 4 million homeless pets are tragically euthanized each year.
Also from the Petfinder.com press release –
When you are ready to open your home and heart to a pooch, here are the top five reasons why adoption is the only option:
1. You will save a life – If just one in three people opted to adopt rather than buy a dog this year, NO dogs would need to be euthanized for lack of a home.
2. You will find your perfect match – With more than 174,600 dogs currently available for adoption through Petfinder.com, including a sizeable number of purebreds, finding the right pup is a dog-lover’s treat.
3. You can easily find a pet that has already been vaccinated, trained and spayed or neutered, saving you time and money.
4. You will receive unconditional love – Dogs that have been adopted know they have been saved. They can sense that they have been rescued and will have an enhanced feeling of appreciation.
5. You will not be supporting the breeding of unhealthy, inbred puppies under cruel conditions in puppymill operations throughout the country.